Thursday, December 6, 2007

Life is like a bowl of cherries....


okay, so the only fun thing that I experienced today was getting an unexpected present from the UPS man. Otherwise, the day was filled with errands and hearing funny/scary noises from my car, which is now in the shop getting a look-see from the mechanics. I really hope they figure out what is going on - I don't like driving around with a 3-year-old and a car that I'm not sure I can trust. Of course, this means that until I get it back, we are a one-car family. That's okay, though, it can be worked around.

We were given a story about teaching our children the true meaning of Christmas this Sunday at church, complete with descriptions of the the true meanings behind the iconic images we associate with Christmas. I agree with the concept of teaching our children not to forget about Jesus and what the season truly represents, but at the same time, I find it hard to balance today's commercialism within that historical and religious context. I get so caught up in the rush to "do" Christmas myself that I hope I don't gloss anything over for the mini. Of course, at not quite 3 years old, she doesn't really understand anything beyond the pretty lights and Santa Clause, but we're trying to get the message across. It's really fun to hear her talk about Christmas as if it were a possession rather than an event "I want Christmas, Mommy" is or "Christmas is so beautiful, Mommy" are daily sayings whenever she sees a decorated tree or a blow-up Santa. I only hope that the rest of her life can be filled with the same wonder and excitement.

No comments: