Thursday, February 7, 2008
Tornadoes
A part of our country is bleeding today. The still pictures and video footage of the victims of the recent tornadoes that wreaked havoc and mayhem in the southeast are so far beyond my experience that I can't comprehend their immense loss. To face such utter devastation is a task that I'm not sure I could undertake. There is an old saying that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I'm not sure I agree with that. I can't help but believe that people whose loved ones were lost are not stronger, merely surviving. Many are no doubt weeping for their loss while others are probably shaking their fists at the sky and screaming their pain to the heavens. A selfish part of me is glad that I do not have to face the horrible reality of the people whose lives were torn apart, and their families splintered due to a phenomenon out of their control. Another part of me wants to scoff at all of the trite platitudes that fill my head in response. The rest of me wants to be there to hold them in my arms and tell them that I'm here and I want to give them whatever comfort they will accept. My heart goes out to them and my prayers are for them. My hope is that somehow, someday, they will be able to pick up the pieces and continue their march through life, not whole, as they will never be completely whole or innocent again, but stronger and with the knowledge that someday, they will be able to smile through their tears.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I know the pictures of Union University were really scary. I can't imagine what it must feel like.
Post a Comment